Director of Development
About the Organization
Founded in 2013 by Edwina von Gal, Perfect Earth Project is a rapidly expanding non-profit organization in East Hampton, NY that seeks to raise consciousness nation and world wide about the dangers of synthetic lawn and garden chemicals to people, their pets, and the environment, and to educate homeowners and professionals about natural, PRFCT (toxin-free) techniques that provide beautiful, safe results at no extra cost. Perfect Earth's vision is that one day all landowners and landscapers will be aware of their role in a larger process and fully realize their capacity as educated land stewards.
Perfect Earth focuses on three major initiatives: the PRFCT Places program that identifies and celebrates high-visibility public spaces that are managed without synthetic fertilizers and pesticides; the PRFCT Professionals program that connects homeowners with landscape professionals offering toxin-free services; and the PRFCT Challenge that helps organizations and companies engage their staff and membership in a friendly competition to end their use of synthetic landscape chemicals.
About the Position
Reporting directly to and working closely with the President, the Director of Development will be responsible for developing and implementing a strong fundraising strategy. The Director of Development will support the President in cultivating a wide variety of external relationships and will raise funds from individual, corporate, foundation, and government supporters. In addition, this individual will lead vision-setting and planning for all events, including the biennial benefit located in East Hampton.
While Perfect Earth is located in East Hampton, NY, most donors are based in the Hamptons and New York City. The Director of Development will support growth of donors from both geographies to achieve and significantly increase its $600,000 annual goal.
The Director of Development will be responsible for the following activities:
- Formulate fundraising goals to secure annual and multi-year commitments to advance the strategic goals of Perfect Earth
- Develop a comprehensive budget for development activities and donor cultivation
- Serve as staff liaison to the Board of Directors, provide regular reports, develop meeting agendas, and encourage greater Board participation
- Identify potential grant opportunities; maintain a grant calendar; draft applications and take responsibility for all grant reporting for 5-10 foundation grants annually
- Work closely with Director of Communications to produce and disseminate annual report, annual appeal, and other online fundraising efforts
- Determine efficacy of launching new membership campaign
- Report on outcomes and return on investment for all fundraising activities
- Partner with the Director of Communications and the Education and Outreach Coordinator to connect fundraising to programs
Donor Cultivation and Stewardship:
- Build on existing strong donor base and network to increase giving, while also expanding it to include funding from foundations and other grant giving entities
- Analyze Board composition and potential relationships within the organization
- Clarify donor benefits and work closely with the President to solicit in-kind support and major gifts from individual and corporate donors; cultivate and maintain personal relationships with current, past and potential funders
- Create a fundraising case statement to solicit support from individuals and foundations
- Develop corporate benefits package to approach 5-10 corporations and small businesses
- Target major organizations that can amplify Perfect Earth's message either as policy advocates or strategic partners; determine level of joint promotion and implement collaborations
- In collaboration with the event planner and Perfect Earth team, design and oversee the planning of the biennial Benefit to attract ~400 $1K donors and major sponsors across the $5K-$50K range
- Create follow up strategy for further engaging attendees as donors and supporters
- In collaboration with the team, the board, and outside vendors, design and manage cultivation and fund/friendraising events to raise funds, interest, and awareness among various audiences
- Coordinate individual fee for service landscape consultations by President and other PRFCT experts that may result in major gifts
- Coordinate fundraising around President's speaking engagements
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- At least 5+ years of fundraising experience in the non-profit sector, with a preference for applicants with environmental experience
- Deep experience developing a fundraising strategy that builds donor loyalty, as well as leading and executing the implementation of annual fundraising campaigns that engage foundation, government, corporate and individual contributors
- Experience planning and overseeing the successful execution of fundraising events
- Previous track record of developing relationships, cultivating major donors, and making direct solicitations on behalf of an organization, such as Perfect Earth
- Conveys a connection, either personal or professional, to the environment
- Contacts and knowledge of major donors and grant makers, preferably in the environment space
- Creative, imaginative, energetic and optimistic
- Experience, or demonstrated ability to thrive, in a start-up environment or fast-paced, evolving organization
- Compelling oral and written communicator
- Self-directed and organized, with an ability to be a decisive process manager; can work autonomously with confidence but also seeks out opportunities for collaboration to advance goals
- Willingness to travel to meet funders, partners, and local constituencies
- Proficient with MS Office Suite and fundraising software (GiftWorks preferred) to measure the impact of fundraising initiatives
Location specifics: East Hampton, NY and/or New York City
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Open to a four-day-a-week work arrangement.
Perfect Earth Project is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.